Sunday, September 17, 2006

lady's tombstone


lady's tombstone, originally uploaded by Kris Kros.

------------------
So, who is LADY?

Well, she is a dog or more appropriately, was a dog.. I saw her tombstone with the other dogs' in a DOGS Graveyard. The graveyard is one of the spots my family and I saw when we went to William Hart Ranch House & Museum in Newhall, CA.

I love pets. I grew up with dogs and cats and ducks and birds. And when I was a kid, I loved to train them. One of my dogs was very special. I used to jog then and when I got Bixby, a female, she used to jog with me for so many miles. As she grew up and because of our rigorous jogging activity, she became muscular and even tougher than most male dogs. She never allowed any male dogs to touch her.

One Sunday morning, she disappeared. It never happened before. The whole family looked for her and can't find her. My dad then was still alive and he cried just like the rest of us.

The afternoon of that Sunday, we heard her barking outside our house and seemed to be asking for help. When we saw her, she was covered with blood and gasping for breath. She was dying.

In about 5 minutes, a jeep full of thugs arrived and claiming our dog was their dog. They actually tortured her and planned to eat her. This all happened when I was still in the Philippines and there are guys who really eat dogs, very sad to say, in our country. There was a Fiesta or a Festival about 4 miles from our place at that time and we were sure Bixby escaped from these bullies and was able to return home even though she was wounded.

When my dad saw these cannibals, he went inside and took his bolo, a long and heavy knife, and tried to hit them. They left immediately. But Bixby didn't survive and she died with tears in her eyes. I will never forget Bixby, my best friend for more than 5 years and my LADY.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bri said...

Sad, but interesting story. Funny how you called the brutes "Cannibals". Is that any black-humor reference to a dog-eat-dog world?

4/24/2007 1:15 PM  
Blogger pinkraspberry said...

Ohhh this is so sad.....Poor lady.

5/05/2008 5:24 PM  
Blogger Kelly B said...

Joe, thanks for sharing such a personal story about your sweet Bixby. I have tears in my eyes!

7/25/2008 5:20 PM  
Blogger TomG said...

What a heart wrenching story. Just know that she's happy now, safe and waiting for you on the other side. Your photo is wonderful and a loving tribute to your loved one.

4/17/2011 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home